Sunday, June 1, 2008

What's wrong with this picture? VII - Reloaded

Remember this post about patient confidentiality on a hospital ward?

Well, they fixed the problem!

And so simply and elegantly, too. They just turned the req over before clipping it up. Sure, anyone can still take a look at the req, but they have to make an active effort to do so.

Well done!

I also learned something from this experience. When I had originally noticed this problem, I brought it to the attention of the ward clerk. The response was essentially: "That's the way we do it here, and I don't see a problem with it." That's often the response I get when I point out some of the situations that I gripe about in What's wrong with this picture?

Maybe it's because I don't present the problem in a compelling way. Or maybe there just isn't a strong culture of patient-centredness out there yet. Or maybe I'm telling the wrong people.

Choice number three seemed to be the problem this time. The nurse manager actually found the problem through this blog and then fixed it. She wished that I had brought the problem directly to her attention. She was right.

So, in future, if I'm serious about getting something fixed (rather than just generating material to post here), I'll talk to the person who has the authority to make the changes.

No comments: