Saturday, November 3, 2007

Practice website puttering

I've been gradually working on my practice website. It's template-based and so is pretty simple to use. On the other hand, it's template-based and so has limited capabilities. As such, I was pleased with myself when I figured out a useful way to work around its limitations.

The website template (courtesy of Mydoctor/Canadian Medical Association) includes a way to show a Yahoo or Google map to your clinic location. I wanted to show maps to several local hospitals, radiology clinics, etc., but the template won't do that.

I could put a long list of links on the site, but that clutters up things. I started by putting a list of links in a Word document and then uploading that to a page on the site. It turns out that the template converts Word documents into PDFs. That would be fine, but the links wouldn't work on the PDF page. A little Googling revealed that links on Word docs (generated on a Mac) don't survive conversion to PDF.

The fix: Upload the Word doc to Google Documents, convert it to PDF and upload that file to my practice website. The links survived that translation. Now I have a single link that gives Yahoo maps to various healthcare facilities.

No comments: