Thursday, November 29, 2007

What's wrong with this picture? - V


Inside the men's washroom next to our office


Missed the garbage can... again!

I wondered what was going on when, regularly over the last few months, there were crumpled paper towels on the floor just inside the washroom door. But I think I've figured it out.

To keep their hands clean, guys are using the towels to turn the door handle. Because there's no garbage can beside the door... on the floor they go.

Bathroom architects take note: put a garbage can beside (or within 3-point range of) bathroom doors. Better yet, no bathroom doors, a la airport washrooms where you walk through an angled entrance that gives visual privacy.

I wonder what these hygiene-freaks do when the washroom has a hot-air hand "dryer" and no towels. Wait for the next guy to come along and open the door, I guess.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know my comment is 18 months late, but I think this post speaks volumes. The people who use papertowel to open the door, and then discard the towel on the floor, are doing what is best for their situation. If you asked them "Should used towels be on the floor?" I'm sure they would say No. So why do it? Because they perceive a problem and don't see an alternative.

How often does this happen outside the bathroom, where what is "Best for the Patient" results in worse for all the other patients?

Lastly, just to add some germ-killing salt - if everyone properly washed their hands at the sink then the door handle would be clean...