Sunday, May 4, 2008

Crash and Learn II

Some more ideas from Crash and Learn by Jim Smith Jr.

Chapter 2 - Room Setup Mistakes

My first inclination was to skip this chapter. After all, in most cases, I don't have much say in how a room is set up.

Or maybe it doesn't matter to me how the room is setup, as long as everyone is facing the front and can see me.

Or maybe I'm not aware of the recent breakthroughs (there must be some!) in room-setup theory that optimize audience experience.

It's a brief chapter, but Smith has a couple of suggestions that would be a departure from the traditional medical lecture setting:

Have a brief, content-related activity waiting for the participants when they enter the room

Play music (!)


My three top mistakes are:

1. Not having an activity to engage my audience as soon as they enter the room

2. Not playing music (!)

3. Letting the room get too hot

My action steps to correct these mistakes are:

1. Create a "Welcome" slideshow. Maybe something like the clips that play in movie theatres before the previews start - trivia questions, short cartoons, etc.

2. Play music (Need those portable speakers!)

3. Check out the thermostat before starting. Asking someone in the room to be in charge of opening a door or window if it does become too hot.

I'm committed to correcting these mistakes because:

1. Having the audience focused on an activity will make it easier to get their attention when I want to start speaking.

2. Music might be a way to get the audience's energy up if the presentation is late in the day.

3. Audiences can't concentrate if they are physically uncomfortable. They will be thinking about their discomfort rather than the message of my talk.



No comments: