Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My Compliments

You remember what I think about RateMDs, right? I hadn't checked my listing for a while, so I took a look recently. Two comments from November made me cringe.

They aren't negative comments . In fact, they're downright flattering. Yet, they make me uncomfortable.

Please don't think this is false modesty. I appreciate a genuine compliment as much as anyone. I want to do a good job for my patients and I enjoy hearing that they've had a positive experience.

But, I live with myself all day and I'm aware of all the times when I don't do a good job. Being impatient with someone's questions (see comment 1/9/07), taking too long to return phone calls... it's a long list. Maybe it's perverse, but compliments often highlight those failings. (Or should I call them "opportunities for improvement"?)

But, hey, if you're planning to compliment me, don't worry that I'll be upset. Just go ahead and flatter me. I'll deal with it.




No comments: