Sunday, December 16, 2007

Still like the Skype

Since starting to use Skype last month, I'm still very pleased with the service. I made 2 discoveries last week.

First, Skype's customer service seems very good. I had a glitch using Skype on my laptop. (Of course, it turned out to be my mistake, but let's not dwell on that.) Their online help desk sorted out my problem within 24 hours.

Second, I found out that Skype shows your Skype username to people with call display on their phones. That explained why, over the last few weeks, when I've called some people on Skype, they seemed suspicious of who was calling. I indicated it was "Dr. Visvanathan calling with test results", but they didn't seem to believe me. They were expecting to see my full name on call display. (My Skype name is "kishorevis".)

One patient who I eventually reached after several attempts told me he had seen "kishorevis" on his phone and was a bit puzzled. A resourceful chap, he googled it and Plain Brown Wrapper was at the top of the result list. He saw my picture/profile and solved his mystery. Perhaps a sneaky way to publicize one's blog!

Beware if you're in the habit of choosing "naughty" usernames, especially if you're using Skype for business. First impressions...

No comments: