Sunday, December 30, 2007

Tech Notes III

Here's 3 recent blog tweaks. (Tech freaks only...)

I had to reinstall the collapse/expand post hack from Hackosphere. I don't know where it went, but it suddenly stopped working. Something I did must have reset the template. I found another version (again, Hackosphere) that takes the reader to a post page when "Read More..." is clicked. I like this feature because...

I'm tracking reader interest using Google Analytics. This is another free Google application that lets bloggers see how many visitors they have, where they live, what pages they read, how long they spend on each page, and lots more information. Previously, if a reader surfed to my blog's main page, they could read recent posts without having to go to that particular post's separate webpage ("post page"). Google Analytics would show that as a visit to the blog's main page but wouldn't tell me what content readers were actually looking at. (Google Analytics is good, but it can't read your mind. Yet.)

Now I should get results on what content is holding people's interest. Why do I want to know? Because it's all about you! If I'm going to spend time writing this blog, I'd like to make it interesting for visitors.

Finally, I added a labels column on the right of the page. It's very simple to do using Edit Template in Blogger. I label most posts into categories/labels, so if there's a certain flavor of post you're interested in, click on that label.

No comments: